Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A test of the [ir]rational voter?

This is the last post about voting from me for a long time, but this I simply couldn't pass up.

I woke up this morning to find this in my inbox:

"date        Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 1:16 AM
subject   Election Day Update
To the Mason Community:
Please note that election day has been moved to November 5th. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you."

This email was followed soon after with this:

"date       Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 8:08 AM
subject  Urgent Voting Information
Dear Colleagues,
It has come to my attention early this morning that a message was hacked into the system fraudulently stating that election day has been moved.  I am sure everybody realizes this is a hoax, it is also a serious offense and we are looking into it.  Please be reminded that election day is today, November 4th."

Next, I find myself reading about this in the Express.

Sure, this isn't platinum behavior.  But I still had a good laugh.  I can't imagine anyone falling for these schemes, but anything's possible.  Let it be clear I don't support purposefully disseminating incorrect information.  But in jest, perhaps these pranksters were simply encouraging the "civic duty" of the extremely uninformed--not voting.

2 comments:

Lincoln McLain said...

Haha... a self monitoring system. But be forewarned Miss Christina this line of logic leads to social Darwinism and exclusivity which we all know isn't freedom. Democracy ainght platinum but it’s the best we got.

JEC Republicans said...

Yeah, that's why I felt it necessary to have a disclaimer of sorts at the end, haha.