Friday, November 21, 2008

Platinum Public Behavior

Sorry again gang for not posting more often. I know that it kind of lets the steam out of a blog when we're not doing our part. For the record, in the course of any given day, I probably think of five separate ideas for posts. My problem is that I'm rarely in a position to post them within the time frame necessary before I've forgotten the idea. So I'm going to try and post immediately as i get an idea from now on, to help deal with said problem. We'll see what happens.



Anyway, so every morning I walk to work (it's been cold in case you didn't notice). Since I walk to work every day, I've gotten pretty good at several things. The first is street names in the ten blocks between home and work. Second is my newfound knowledge of the timing for all the traffic lights I walk through. I pretty much know at this point where and how fast to walk after I see an one light in an intersection. The good news is that this means I can get to work fast without almost causing an accident in the middle of a pretty well trafficked area of Arlington. But of course, like all good things, there are always free riders.



Just this morning, someone watched me jaywalk and about 5 seconds(too late) jumped off the curb and just blindly started walking. First rule of jaywalking; Look the fuck out! Anyway, the woman almost got hit and definitely got honked. The expression on her face was something close to perplexed/startled with a hint of indignant. I laughed. Definitely not platinum behavior. For the record, I can honestly say that I learned the rules of jaywalking from my mother, an avowed New Yorker who I clearly remember describing her unhappiness with jaywalkers in St. Louis, my home. Having been to NYC many times, I can say honestly that jaywalkers there really are of a different class. Oh well. Here' s to hoping the lady on the street lost some social capital and recognized the need to look at the cars/lights and not what song to listen to on her IPod.

No comments: