Friday, November 21, 2008

More Socially Platinum Behavior

I'd like to thank Raph for keeping the ball rolling, and I apologize too for lacking in regularity and frequency.

Every morning I wake up around 9am (I know, the bliss of a grad student), take the elevator down to the first floor, walk outside my apartment and grab a copy of the Express and two complimentary coffees on my way back up.  Usually I'm just in time to grab one of the last copies in the two bins relatively close to my apartment.  For some reason, the Express was in high demand on Monday, and there were no copies left in either bin.  The homeless man who usually sits by one of them saw me check both, and then offered his own copy to me for which I thanked him.  I've seen him around a lot, but I'd never given him anything before.  Guess he made the first gesture.  How ironic.  So this morning, when we woke to the fire alarm (there actually was a small fire in the building), I brought my wallet with me and gave the homeless man $1.  Next time I plan to bring him a pumpkin cupcake if he'd like.

No comments: