Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Nintendo DS while traveling... Platinum?

I live in DC, and as you might have guessed, we have quite a bit of tourists. Most new comers, myself included, are stunned at how the tourists behave. They frankly tend to get in the way. It's like all of middle America stampedes the city every weekend to clog up the escalators in the metro or stop and sight see while I'm trying to get somewhere. It's flippin annoying. Fortunately the tourists generally come and families and consequentially have not infested the bars as of yet.

If I was to be honest I would have to say though that from time to time visitors to the city crack me up. The extreme tourist has never seen the likes of what we got here. I'm talking about overweight dads with Hawaiian shirts and sun caps, tube socks with sandals, cameras and cargo shorts pulled way high. It's great! Once we even has a bunch of Chinese tourists take pictures with us while we were tossing disk on the mall. (I like to joke that it wasn't till later that day we found out they stole our wallets)

The question on platinum comes up in one such encounter with a traveling family. The entire family was in the metro and as soon as they had a free second every one of them popped out a little Nintendo DS and started gaming. This through me for a loop, maybe I'm a purist at heart and a little wearly of those things stealing my soul or something, but still... when your traveling?! I don't get it. But I will try to refraign from casting platinum judgment on such actions as those I simply fail to understand.

No comments: