Monday, June 22, 2009

Helping (not requiring) people to volunteer is definitely platinum

For the longest time, I've been thinking about volunteering. As an adult, I now have about 3-5 organizations I make annual contributions to, but that often feels like not enough. I almost decided to become a youth basketball coach with some friends, but the logistics proved nearly impossible given my absolute lack of a car. I then had to rethink what volunteering meant when I heard that it now means being required to do community service (at least according to some people).

I digress. With my new job, new apartment, and hopefully new workout routine, it only makes sense to revisit this topic. But how to do so? It's hard to comprehend just how many opportunities there are out there, especially if you're not sure how you want to volunteer. Enter, Google. They have kicked in to create this website, which after about 2 minutes of testing, I found to be superior to just about every other volunteer website I've ever seen. When will people get it? Do straightforward things really well and you can be the best in your business. Anyway, the website is called allforgood.org and I'm already brainstorming what I'm going to start doing on saturdays besides studying for the gmat.

No comments: