Friday, August 29, 2008

A boy's dream...

When I was a boy, my father would take me to Cardinal's baseball games. To this day, those few trips to a baseball stadium have made me a lifelong fan of baseball and the Cardinals. Happily, because I have a midwestern temperment and am always interested in seeing other baseball teams, regardless of their talent level or the city in which they inhabit. Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce you to the Washington Nationals. Last night, I was able to attend my first(of many) Nationals baseball game(with pretty nice seats) courtesy of the generosity of a friend of a friend. The game was a lot of fun despite absurd prices for food, mainly due to the good company and decent baseball(don't even ask me to describe Dodger's third baseman's abysmal fielding). Overall, a very nice experience.

But this got me thinking. Whenever I go to random events like a sporting event or concert, I always end up pondering random questions. Last night's question was "If I was a major/minor league playerWhat would I have as my intro music when I walked up to home plate for my at bat?"

The initial response I have to this is always that I would want to play the raunchiest rap song I could think of, just for my pure amusement. See examples here and here. Thinking about it, I realized that this is too short sided. All should get enjoyment from the song I choose, especially if my goal is to "Keep It Platinum."

Add to this the songs that Lincoln just mentioned for intro music at political events and you understand the importance of such musical choices. McCain did have it way over on the Democrats, especially for using the theme song to Rudy as his intro music.

So I put to you readers in the form of a contest. What would be a good song for that walk up to the plate or being introduced in a game or event?

Some parameters:

- It's got to be something memorable - usually something with a good hook(not many of us get to stand up on stage for a three minute introduction/crowd warm up).

- It's got to appeal to a wide variety of people at said event. This means that the music that does well in Hawaii may not work so well in the Bronx. Feel free to specify in your recommendations.

- It needs to get you AND the audience pumped for the event at hand, whatever it may be.

Those that enter and are selected as finalists will receive exactly one bagel + cream cheese from me via the bagel place across the street from my office. The winner will be invited to a special viewing of Arrested Development at a point to be determined. Also, they will from then on only be referred to as the Hermano.

Let the games begin!

4 comments:

Demko said...

I've actually thought about this before. The correct answer is The Final Countdown.

/contest

Lincoln McLain said...

I see your final count down and I raise you a Coco bongo scene fromt "The Mask"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arv5OQd3Exc&feature=related

Anonymous said...

Walk This Way - Aerosmith. I'm a lass of simple pleasures. Also, mock them with me:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page3/story?page=atbatsongs/index

JEC Republicans said...

I'm going to venture "Puttin' on the Ritz" by Taco.