Sunday, October 26, 2008

Platinum Voting: Knowing what you are voting for...

So, I still have not decided about voting for individual candidates in the coming election. But, this weekend I decided that I was going to vote on individual ballot issues. First thing to do, find out what I will be voting on. Ironically, this took some effort. The state of Virginia posted lots of information on how to register, where to vote, and answers to any questions you may have about any number of voting problems, but there was no link that said "Issues that will be on the Ballot." Frustrated initially by this, I started using google to search for information. This proved to be a complete waste of time(and proof that Google is not perfect when it comes to search). I guess it goes back to the whole theory that we care more about personalities in politics than we do about issues. There was untold amounts of information about McCain or Obama, but little about the referendum to completely reconstitute the way Arlington does public/affordable housing.

Anyway, after some searching and the realization that I had completely overlooked a part of the Virginia Elections website, I found the page that had all the information I could want. A list of every constitutional amendment being proposed for the state + local referendums: check. A detailed explanations of what the changes mean relative to the status quo: check. A non-partisan analysis: truly remarkable and check.

Anyway, for those platinum readers who haven't voted and want to be prepared for Nov. 4th, go here for some good old fashioned info about issues that are probably a little more important than this. Make sure to scroll down about 3/4 of the way down the page.

Merry voting everyone. I promise I'm going to stay away from politics for the next few posts...promise.

No comments: