Sunday, December 20, 2009

Platinum Technology Growth

Maybe it's just me, but since I've been on break and done with classes and reading for the time being, I've been increasingly annoyed with cable television. And it's not just the regular holiday season expectations; you know, running 24 hours of a holiday movie on one channel. That's to be expected, perhaps even a welcomed tradition.

Yet since most of the shows I regularly watch (thank goodness for DVR) have taken a hiatus until after the new year, I've found that instead of the usual filler TV shows I enjoy watching when I have time to, I now encounter... very little. Most of our basic cable channels are now running the same handful of non-holiday movies multiple times, multiple days of the week (in the past, this used to be just a channel or two).

Why pay for cable then? It's certainly making the digital converter box more attractive these days, or just waiting for new episodes of your favorite shows to appear online. And these days, a lot of new TVs are coming internet-capable, which can be paired with internet-friendly offerings from Netflix, Amazon, Apple, Hulu, Pandora and even more. I'm sure a number of people have already chosen to just pay for internet access and watch TV in that manner.

Yet again, I'm unsure if this is a newfound intolerance for crappier cable offerings, or just my growing expectation that I have greater control over the content I watch beyond just changing the channel.

No comments: