Thursday, November 5, 2009

Platinum Links: Be Careful Who You Mess With Edition

1. Part of me thinks that Michelle Rhee should be more cognizant of the limits of executive authority and respect the rules set down by the legislative branch. But the other part of me completely agrees with Kevin Carey and thinks that ruffling feathers in the education world is probably the greatest indicator that you are doing the right thing. Great blog post.

2. Awhile back, John Mackey, the CEO of Whole Foods, wrote an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal about alternative ideas for health care reform. There was a bit of a response. Anyway, the folks over at Reason produced this video on the whole thing. I'm not sure what's less platinum; the activist calling Mackey racist for not supporting healthcare reform or the other activist assuming he knows more about the healthcare at Whole Foods than he actually does. (HT: D-Rock)



3. Fascinating article about the orthodox Jewish community reporting sexual abuse. Really. Several random thoughts. People tend to think I'm anti-government. I'm not. I like to consider myself more pro-openness. Generally, this means less government, but not always. What's truly interesting about the story is how it demonstrates how cloistered communities develop legal systems. Just because they do not exist as a top down legal authority does not mean they are just and does not mean that they are better than the alternatives. Kudos to the local prosecutors for handling a very difficult situation and encouraging a solution that works within the context of that specific culture.

4. Ummm....can we say, "Net neutrality has tradeoffs."

5. Office gossip is kind of rough. For the record, the article describes the politics of the elementary schools I taught at perfectly. Only I'm not so deft at disrupting it...mostly because for the first year and a quarter of teaching I was participating in it.

No comments: